What Passengers Should Do After Getting Injured in an Accident

If you were in a vehicular accident where you were a passenger and got injured, your claim would most likely be made against the driver’s insurance policy. The exception is if your driver is not the one at fault. Then, you can make a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy. There may also be instances when you’ll be able to file against both drivers involved. 

Now, being in an accident can be nerve-wracking, and it’s easy to make mistakes after. However, to ensure you avoid costly mistakes, you should maintain a presence of mind and do these steps shared by your trusted accident lawyer:

What You Need to Do Right After the Accident

1. Get the other driver’s information.

You need to get the other driver’s name, number, and insurance information. This includes the driver’s name, address, phone number, license plate, and insurance company. 

2. Take photos of the accident if you can.

You’ll want to take photos of the accident site, your damaged car, and any injuries you might have sustained.

3. Get the names and contact information of witnesses.

If there are witnesses to the accident, get their names, numbers, and addresses. You’ll also want to get the names and contact information of any other drivers involved.

4. Make detailed notes of what happened.

Write down every detail you can think of. This includes the time and place of the accident and the order in which events happened. Write down how the accident occurred and anything else that might be relevant.

5. Gather information from the other driver.

If the other driver is cooperative, you can ask for some additional information such as their driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.

6. Go to the emergency room and get a medical report.

It’s essential to get a medical report. If you have not yet done so, go to the emergency room and get any injuries you have documented.

7. Call the police if you feel it is necessary.

You may need to file a report if the accident is serious and the other driver refuses to cooperate. You should also consider contacting your lawyer to help you out with legal matters.

8. Contact your insurance company.

You need to contact your insurance company. They can advise you of your next steps.

Filing a Claim Against the Other Driver’s Insurance Policy

As mentioned earlier, if you were involved in a vehicular accident as a passenger, then you will most likely file a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy. The accident lawyer you hire will be able to help you with this. After the claim is settled, the insurance company will find out you are entitled to get the following types of benefits:

Medical bills

You will be able to get all the medical bills you incurred up to the settlement amount.

Lost wages 

You will also be able to get all the lost wages you incurred up to the settlement amount.

Pain and suffering 

You will also be able to get all the pain and suffering you incurred up to the settlement amount.

Filing Your Claim With Your Personal Insurance

You should also file a claim with your insurance company if you have a policy. Your insurance company will work with you and your attorney to settle the claim. They will then proceed to pay you the coverage you are entitled to.

What to Do When the Insurance Company of the Other Driver Refuses to Pay Your Claim

If the insurance company refuses to pay your claim, you should start the lawsuit by contacting your lawyer. They will represent you in court and take it from there.


If you or a loved one was in a vehicular accident, you should seek the help of a lawyer. The first thing you need to do is get the other driver and witnesses’ names, information, and contact details. Of course, you should call 911 and get medical attention if needed. After that, you should speak to your insurance company. If you have any questions, you can contact a seasoned car accident attorney.

Ronemus & Vilensky offers you the legal services of an experienced car accident attorney in New York. Contact us today to set up a legal consultation!